Pits and Chains
Sargent Yarrick was into some pretty weird stuff. But he kept the road warden watchtowers running and the garrisons in order, so his private life wasn't questioned... until it was. When they figured out what Yarrick was worshipping, they speedily tried him, exacted the penalty, and threw his body into a well.
That was over 100 years ago. Now caravans near the abandoned watchtowers report an unpleasant feeling of being watched. Wizards whisper of ill omens and evil stirrings. Some caravans have been ambushed and burned, their goods still loaded. Could all this have something to do with Yarrick's Curse?
The story of the curse is in every tavern in the Wildwoods. Every time the PCs hear about the curse and decide not to do anything about it, advance the curse track one step:
- Rumors abound, people are worried, but no one you talk to knows anyone affected by it personally.
- A large caravan is attacked, and signs are posted in the Inns advertising for adventurers to investigate the tower.
- The next time they travel the roads, the PCs find a small caravan, burned, with signs of undead attack. All wilderness random encounters in this area are now skeleton raiding parties.
- Trade slows to a crawl and the prices of all goods rise precipitously. The towns are crowded with scared peasants from the countryside.
- A small army of undead sallies forth from the the watchtowers, led by Yarrick, and undead wraith of great power. It besieges the nearest town, beginning its reign of terror across the country.