322 days ago
I started a painting project. I didn't have any time for a new project, so I decided I'd get up at 6am, three days a week, and paint for an hour. I figured it would take me three months. Now, almost a year later, it's done.
The image was created using Google maps satellite imagery as a guide.
The initial layer was set down using watercolors to mark out the neighborhoods, roads, areas of vegetation, and ruins.
Once the basic colors were laid out, I used ink pens to add the detail level. This is a technique I've used before
But this time I added an additional step between the watercolor and the pen where I deepened the shadows and major features before adding the ink. This gave the picture a lot more depth, but is also why it took 8 months longer than expected.
You can view the full final Full size Seattle Postapocalypse image
on my Flickr account.
Labels: map, postapocalyptic, seattle